Astrisk & Cisco 7911 HELP FOR A NEWBIE!!

arriben

Re: Astrisk & Cisco 7911 HELP FOR A NEWBIE!!

Posted:Tue 24 of Aug, 2010 (08:32 UTC)
I kind of worked out that I need to update the handset's firmware to SIP. But I do not have a login for Cisco with the authority to download the latest firmware.
Does anyone know where I can get it apart from Cisco? Somewhere for free by some chance?

I mean, I do not understand why you would need to "PAY" Cisco for firmware. Imagine if Microsoft charged you to download service packs...

Anyway's, if anyone can help with that - it would be appreciated.
arriben

Posted:Tue 24 of Aug, 2010 (08:25 UTC)
Believe it or not, I found the firmware sitting on one of my server, but under a different folder. Can anyone explain to me how I take this firmware upgrade and push it to a 7911 handset? Do I need to copy it to my Asterisk box, and if so, what then?
arriben

Posted:Tue 24 of Aug, 2010 (08:02 UTC)
I kind of worked out that I need to update the handset's firmware to SIP. But I do not have a login for Cisco with the authority to download the latest firmware.
Does anyone know where I can get it apart from Cisco? Somewhere for free by some chance?

I mean, I do not understand why you would need to "PAY" Cisco for firmware. Imagine if Microsoft charged you to download service packs...

Anyway's, if anyone can help with that - it would be appreciated.
d_turburville

Posted:Thu 19 of Aug, 2010 (10:00 UTC)
You’ll need a CCO login for Cisco.com in order to obtain the latest SIP firmware. The easiest way to obtain a CCO login is to purchase a Smartnet maintenance contract for your Cisco IP phone from an authorized Cisco reseller. Once you have a registered Smartnet, you can obtain CCO login credentials and access the firmware downloads section of Cisco’s website. Expect to pay $8-$15 for a Smartnet contract.
212bjh

Posted:Thu 19 of Aug, 2010 (00:42 UTC)
Thanks for your qestion Arriben, I'm facing the same problem and we're running on the latest version of Elastix. Could someone please send the link for the Cisco firmware.

Cheers

BJH

www.zoitel.com
www.voip-maroc.com
d_turburville

Posted:Wed 18 of Aug, 2010 (10:31 UTC)
Well it can be done, I am sitting next to a couple of 7911's that i have talking to an Elastix server. It is not easy however.
First off, you will need the SIP firmware from Cisco. I would recommend the SIP11.8-5-2S version as that works for me. Do you have access to download this from Cisco?
arriben

Astrisk & Cisco 7911 HELP FOR A NEWBIE!!

Posted:Tue 17 of Aug, 2010 (12:53 UTC)
Hi all,

I am very new to the whole asterisk thing. Currently we are running asterisk in conjunction with Free PBX 2.5. Everything is working fine, however I need some advice on how to configure a Cisco IP phone 7911 series on asterisk as a new extension. Currently all of our Cisco handsets are plugged into a Cisco POE switch which powers the phones.

In otherwords, how do I get the physical handset to boot up on its own and get an IP from Asterisk?

At the moment, I am staring at a dead screen..

I can confirm that the unit I am trying to configure is getting power as the light on the receiver flashes as well as the 2 main buttons on the actual handset.

I have tried to configure asterisk to see the new handset, but am seriously running out of ideas here. If anyone can advise me right from the beginning of pluggin the new handset into the ethernet cable to configuring the extension - it would be great.

Thanks a million.

By the way we run a SIP pabx as most of our handsets are the cheap USB ones which I have no problem configuring because they run through Windows.

Best regards..

You can also send me a mail at arrib@kf.co.za
or find me at arrib@integr8it.com (MSN)

I am at my wits end with this thing..