Build VoIP for family/home use...

cqvoip

Re: Build VoIP for family/home use...

Posted:Sun 13 of Sep, 2009 (21:27 UTC)
I myself only use BYOD (bring your own device) pay-as-you-go VoIP carriers. No contracts, no fees, no commitments.
I then use the Linksys SPA2102-NA VoIP ATA with built-in NAT-Router and QOS.
I then configure the ATA for service with my preferred BYOD VSP (Voip Service Provider).
These providers usually allow all account users to make calls to each other for free (know as "In Network Calling).
You can setup an account for each of your family members.
Then buy an ATA for each family.
Then configure each ATA with their account login info.
From there on, the devices are plug-n-play.
Send the ATA's to each family member and it should just be plug-n-play when they get it.
Good luck.

P.S.
For best results, the Linksys SPA2102-NA should be connected directly to the Internet Modem. The Modem should not have a built-in Router. If the Modem has its own built-in router, things get a little more complicated.... Like Port-Forwarding issues.

CQVoIP
http://www.cqvoip.net
ttpdotcom

Posted:Wed 06 of May, 2009 (17:22 UTC)
I think is the perfect layout
pelle79

Posted:Wed 06 of May, 2009 (15:07 UTC)
I was checking for voip solutions and found the <a href="http://www.magicjack-phone.com">magicjack phone</a>. Anyone tried it yet?
admin

Posted:Wed 29 of Apr, 2009 (06:45 UTC)
Trixbox is a version of Asterisk with a ease-of-use layer wrapped around it.
Its an easier way to get started with Asterisk. If you can setup a Trixbox/Asterisk server with a public IP address, then the remote users can just connect to it with either with VOIP hardware ( an ATA or IP phone). Alternately they could just use free VOIP software on their PCs (e.g. x-lite). Once they are connected with the Asterisk box, then they can talk to each other, use voicemail, etc.
sysadmin604

Posted:Mon 27 of Apr, 2009 (04:22 UTC)
In Re: Build VoIP for family/home use... (Sat 25 of Apr, 2009 (01:12 UTC))adminwrote:
You can build a build a VOIP network as you describe, but ((NAT)) may be problem depending on your network configurations. Usually easier for small configurations to use one of the free or low cost SIP service providers that allow free subscriber to subscriber calls. See the Peer to Peer section of ((VOIP Service Providers)).

Admin,

Thanks for the reply. What sort of equipment/server/software do I need at the VoIP Server level? Asterisks and SIP Proxy Server? Or just the Asterisks Server?

We're trying to avoid using third party VoIP carriers and SIP service providers like Vonage and so on.

Every location have at least these connection:
1.) Cable/ADSL Modem for Internet
2.) Analog Telephone Lines for regular local phone calls

Since all of our families are already paying Hi-Speed Internet and all have analog phone lines, the idea is to place the VoIP and SIP Servers (and whatever the required equipment and servers) on all location so that they can use the SIP phone or regular phone connected to those VoIP & SIP server and have everyone calling each other as much and as long as they want.

Basically, I am being my own VoIP Provider for the family...like another Vonage company...BUT for free for the family. We're not interested in building a network to compete with Vonage and other VoIP providers. I am only interested in helping my family to connect via VoIP... a private VoIP for a family network.

I've stumbled onto TriBox...not sure if it is better than Asterisks?
admin

Posted:Sat 25 of Apr, 2009 (01:12 UTC)
You can build a build a VOIP network as you describe, but NAT may be problem depending on your network configurations. Usually easier for small configurations to use one of the free or low cost SIP service providers that allow free subscriber to subscriber calls. See the Peer to Peer section of VOIP Service Providers.
sysadmin604

Build VoIP for family/home use...

Posted:Fri 24 of Apr, 2009 (09:48 UTC)
This is a newbie question...Is it possible to buid a VoIP network for family/home/small business use? I live City A, and I want to setup a VoIP network for my family in City B and City C.

Is it possible?

To my understanding, this is how a VoIP network looks like right?

City A (source)
SIP Phone + PC > Switch > VoIP Server > Linksys WRTG54 router > Cable Modem > INTERNET

City B (destination)
INTERNET > Cable Modem > Linksys WRT54G router > VoIP Server > SIP Phone + PC

If this is not correct, can someone point me into the right direction on the layout and what is needed?