PLAR, Hotline, FXS Door Phone, ATT partner system

PLAR, Hotline, FXS Door Phone, ATT partner system

Posted:Tue 23 of Jun, 2009 (15:58 UTC)
Mon, 06/22/2009 - 8:05pm

Okay, for all of you who are wondering this is a post about my experiences with attaching an AT&T Partner system door phone to an Asterisk 1.4+FreePBX system.
the title is so that all of those things can get hits and bring people here because these are all the things that I was searching for trying to make this stuff work.

The Bread and Butter:

This information will work on vanilla asterisk or asterisk+freepbx, it will work with both zaptel or dahdi drivers you just need to edit the correct files and get things setup in this fashion.

There is alot of questions on the internet about making a PLAR(Private Line Automatic Ringdown) or "hotline" phone. this is also good information for connecting proprietary AT&T partner system door phones to asterisk.

The Code:
for freepbx(or trixbox)
edit your zapata-auto.conf and change the context for the FXS port to which you are connecting the PLAR or door phone too:
make it reflect the context you are going to setup later.
mine looks like this

;line="11 FXS/1/6"
channel => 11

for the vanilla asterisk users it will be zapata.conf

next add the context for your PLAR/Door Phone

doorphone ; this should be in square brackets but for some reason I cant get them to display on voip-info sorry guys
;include => from-internal-additional
exten => s,1,Answer()
exten => s,n,Set(CALLERID(name)="Front Door")
exten => s,n,Set(CALLERID(num)="Front Door")
exten => s,n,Dial("dial string",,L(30000))
exten => s,n,Hangup()

for mine i want it to dial 3 sip extensions 101, 102, and 108 so I use the following dial line

exten => s,n,Dial(SIP/101&SIP/102&SIP/108,,L(30000))

if you want to use a ring group, queue or an ivr that is configured in freepbx uncomment the include statement and set the "dial string" equal to the extension of the ring group, queue or ivr.

the dial statement is for a door phone I am using, for a PLAR remove the "L(30000)"
the 30000 is milliseconds this is an auto hangup statement equal to 30 seconds.

reload asterisk and you are ready to go.

I am sure you can do some really cool stuff like ring the ring group for 15 seconds and if it doesn't answer send a hangup to the door phone so it doesn't go to an off hook tone but I didnt want to take the time to script this, I just make the receptionist figure out what they want and tell them to go away or she will be there in a second within the 30 second time frame :)