How would you configure a VOIP solution in a home?

cqvoip

Re: How would you configure a VOIP solution in a home?

Posted:Sun 13 of Sep, 2009 (18:20 UTC)
I think you are on the right track.
I have a similar setup on my home network uisng two dynamic IP addresses from my ISP.

Here is how I am setup:
Cable Modem from my Cable ISP (no built-in router).
Output from Modem connected to a 5-port Linksys Switch.
Then:

Port-1 of switch is connected to my 1st Linksys SPA2102-NA ATA with built-in NAT Router. This ATA is strictly configured as my primary VoIP service with my preferred BYOD VoIP carrier. This ATA is also configured for QOS to only allow ~ 50% up my ISP available uplink data speed.

Port-2 of switch is connected to my 2nd Linksys SPA2102-NA ATA with built-in NAT Router. This ATA is configured to connect to my secondary BYOD VoIP service provider. This ATA has its QOS configured to only allow ~ 50% of uplink speed availably from my ISP. Output of this ATA Router port is connected to my Linksys WRT-54G Router. My main PC is connected to this WRT-54G via Ethernet cable. My laptop is a Wireless connection to the WRT-54G.

Using two dynamic IP address assignments with a switch splitting service to two separate Linksys SPA2102-NA ATA's has worked really well for me and my BYOD (bring your own device) VoIP services.

CQVoIP
http://www.cqvoip.net
tdgobux

How would you configure a VOIP solution in a home?

Posted:Tue 07 of Jul, 2009 (00:52 UTC)
I currently have 2 dedicated IP addresses. One IP is set at my router to forward all specific requests to a small business server. I can't figure out how to configure the second ip address/router.
Do i first take the inbound wire to a switch,
then 2nd - have 2 wires out of the switch to:
one wire goest to the router for the server and the second goes to another router which could handle a linux / asterisk server - or other solution?

Would you separate the VOIP traffic from the internet traffic? or would a different subnet be all that is needed?