How to run Asterisk on a windows xp laptop

graysonpeddie

Re: How to run Asterisk on a windows xp laptop

Posted:Tue 18 of Aug, 2009 (04:28 UTC)
The way I can think of is running trixbox CE in a virtualbox. Do you have 1GB+ of RAM to run a virtual machine? You will need at minimum of 256MB of memory space for a VM to occupy in your RAM. That leaves 768MB of memory left. If you have 2GB of RAM in your laptop, you'll have have 1.7GB of memory space left once trixbox VM runs.

Unfortunately, a modem will not work with a virtual machine, as it's just like a separate PC, but it's virtualized in your laptop (VM stores in your hard drive). Not even a voice modem, as I assume your laptop only comes with data/fax modem.

A better idea is to build your own low-powered PC for purpose of running Asterisk.
undertruck

How to run Asterisk on a windows xp laptop

Posted:Tue 18 of Aug, 2009 (00:05 UTC)
Hi,

I'm a newbie here. I've read so many articles on this but all of them were either confusing or incomplete.

Basically I was wondering if I could run Asterisk on my windows xp laptop which has regular phone modem which I used to use for dial-up Internet connection.

I tried to install AsteriskWin32 but it hanged just before finishing. It hanged somewhere in shell script, I think. Though I was able to run it after killing the hanged process.

I've absolutely no idea how I can proceed. Would it work with my laptop?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.