SIP trunks and DiD

Re: SIP trunks and DiD

Posted:Fri 11 of Dec, 2009 (00:39 UTC)
I think I answered my own question with a little more research.

I was equating a SIP Trunk with a line. Now, from what I gather, speakeasy uses individual trunks as a unit of measure. So when they say 4 trunks they mean up to 4 concurrent inboud or outbound calls, regardless of the DiD the caller dialed. The trunks don't actually mean dedicated pathways as with traditional telephone systems.

If I'm still looking at this incorrectly, input would be appreciated.

SIP trunks and DiD

Posted:Thu 10 of Dec, 2009 (23:46 UTC)
Currently we use a hosted SIP PBX service. We are looking to switch to hosting our own PBX.

I plan on purchasing a trixboxCE Base appliance, and getting SIP trunks from our ISP, speakeasy, and I just want to make sure I'm looking at everything correctly.

The way I see it I'll need 4 sip trunks to allow up to four simultaneous calls, and I will port my current two public numbers to speakeasy.

What I am not 100% clear on is if a number is tied to a particular trunk, or if an incoming call (regardless of the number dialed) will use the first available trunk. Since we run two small business out of the same office, I need to keep the callers seperate.

So, I can set up an inbound route with DiD number "A" to go to IVR "A", and a route with DiD "B" to go to IVR "B"

If a caller calls number "A", goes to IVR "A" and gets connected to an extension, and another caller calls number "A" they would still get connected to IVR "A" using the next available trunk, correct?

Then I could handle outbound caller ID based on the extension that is initiating the call, a seperate set of extensions for numbers "A" and "B".

Thanks in advance for any help.