Is a STUN server absolutely necessary?

voip_innovations

Re: Is a STUN server absolutely necessary?

Posted:Tue 21 of Sep, 2010 (15:08 UTC)
As Udo said, a STUN server is not necessary. A STUN server allows a device to find its public IP address and should not be necessary for what you are trying to do. Here is a link that describes what STUN servers do: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/STUN

The problem you are experiencing is usually a result of outbound routes not being configured correctly. From your post, it doesn't sound like you have your own PBX so you would likely need to contact your provider to find out why it isn't working. They should be able to help you configure things on your end or make necessary changes on their end, especially if it is a paid service. There may be settings you can adjust on your end as well, but you would need to consult the documentation of your phones or search the internet for help if your service provider can't resolve the issue. Alternately, you could try a different service provider and see if the problem persists.

Regards,

Randy Stegner
www.voipinnovations.com
udosw

Re: Is a STUN server absolutely necessary?

Posted:Thu 12 of Aug, 2010 (17:22 UTC)
A STUN server is not necessary, but may help sometimes, esp. for incoming calls.Double check your configuation, outgoing calls don't need STUN or any other special setup. For incoming calls, it might help to do a port forwarding of port 5060 UDP to your phone. Is you phone / home net NATed? What router do you use? Udo
mikeybaby

Is a STUN server absolutely necessary?

Posted:Sat 07 of Aug, 2010 (04:55 UTC)
I am very new to the world of VOIP. Recently I purchased a Uniden UIP1868 VOIP phone. Unlike the 1868P which is a packet8 phone, or the 1868V which is hard configured for Vonage, the 1868 was said to be compatible with most services providers. I know enough about home networks to connect the phone to my router which is fed by a Motorola cable modem. Working with my service provider (VYL Media) I was able to get the phone to register, and get a dial tone. But now I'm stuck. I cannot make calls (most result in a fast busy, or a "Your call cannot be completed as dialed) or receive calls (when I use my cell phone to call my VOIP line, the call goes right to voice mail.) My service provider thinks that the problem may have something to do with the 1868 not having a stun server. The SIP setup asks for a SIP server, an outbound proxy server, and a registration server, but no stun server.
Does anyone know if there is any way around this limitation? Any help would be very welcome. Thanks, Mike.