How to upgrade Polycom IP5000 firmware from 3.2.6 to 4.0.1?

Re: How to upgrade Polycom IP5000 firmware from 3.2.6 to 4.0.1?

Posted:Thu 10 of May, 2012 (01:16 UTC)
Okay - figured it out. I put the 4.3.0 Bootrom in the ftp directory (it would not work with the 4.4.0 Bootrom). Then I also put the files for UC Software 3.3.2. Apparently, I was not able to go directly from 3.2.6 to 4.0.1. But I was able to go from 3.2.6 to 3.3.2 to 4.0.1.

So I judge that it is a matter of the right order of upgrading. It does say that in the manuals, but there are so many different versions of everything out there, and so many pdfs to read it is hard to decipher.

To upgrade, you don't have to do much. In the newer versions, they don't call it `BootRom` anymore - they call it `Upgrader`. You put the new "upgrader" files in the polycom ftp directory. That's it.

The upgrade consists in the phone updating its own "brain" files that are kept inside itself. For the upgrade process, the phones do not boot from that - they boot from their regular sip configurations. After that, they check to see if any upgrader files are present, and then they load those too. Once those are loaded into the phone, you don't need the upgrader files any more unless you need to upgrade other phones.

Hope that helps a little bit!

How to upgrade Polycom IP5000 firmware from 3.2.6 to 4.0.1?

Posted:Wed 09 of May, 2012 (20:09 UTC)
Salvete! I have a Polycom IP5000 Soundstation which loads its 3.2.6 sip.ld file from my server's polycom ftp directory - no problem there.

However, I want to upgrade the firmware to 4.0.1b or better. I have read through the documents, which give directions, but not enough for my hard head - I just can't get the new configuration to take.

Here is where I stand: - First, I am using a macaddress configuration - that is, my phones load their settings information from .cfg. - In the ftp directory, I have sip_326.ld and sip_326.ld which is being used now. - There is also sip_401b.ld and sip_401b.cfg which I want to upgrade too. - In the ftp directory (everything is at root), I have also placed the 4.4.0 BootRom files, which look like this:

It seems to me that the IP5000 should, using its 3.2.6 configuration, see the bootrom upgrade files in the polycom directory and just load them. After that, I think I ought to be able to reboot the phone with the 4.0.1 configuration. Now, what step am I missing here?