Asterisk appliances are useful for small businesses wanting a complete PBX that is efficient in size, performance speed, and energy usage. Asterisk appliances are less expensive than typical PBXs, ranging from $200-$1000.
Asterisk appliances can be custom-made or pre-built from proprietary sources, or a user can build their own. Because Asterisk can run on nearly any computer, there is a wide variety of choice when it comes to the individual components of an Asterisk appliance. For example, Asterisk can be configured, depending on the modules, for 32 or 64-bit architecture. Some Asterisk appliances can use netbook chipsets such as the Intel Atom for a smaller form factor.
When building an Asterisk appliance, compiling modules can restrict chipset and operating system. For example, the Astlinux project must use the uClibc compiler rather than the more common GCC compiler, which makes Astlinux incompatible with Digium’s G.729a codec.
Proprietary Asterisk appliances come in many forms and do not require the user to compile code. Rhino’s Ceros uses Intel Core i3, 160GB hard drive and 1GB RAM with whatever Asterisk distribution the user chooses. The Phonebochs Telephony Appliance from Rockbochs, on the other hand, uses Intel Core Duo Mobile and Trixbox.
Asterisk Appliance from DigiumDigium, Inc has its own product called Asterisk Appliance 50. The server is designed for small businesses (up to 20 users) and can function as a hybrid phone solution or complete VoIP PBX.
Other Proprietary Asterisk Appliances
- beroNet: beroNet Telephony Appliance
- Fonality: Trixbox Appliance
- Pika Technologies: Warp Appliance
- Rhino: Cero and Mini
- VadaXchange PBX Appliance: Atom and Enterprise. Fully featured unified communications solution with contact centre capability, mobile extension feature and presence, integration into Microsoft and / or Google environments.
- Rockbochs: Phonebochs Telephony Appliance
- X100P.com: JS200-FX v2.0 Embedded VoIP PBX Asterisk Appliance. Two FXS, WiFi. Native Google Voice Support!
- Zycoo IP-PBX Appliance: Zycoo Iran Distributor www.zycoo.ir
Proprietary Servers for Custom/DIY Asterisk Appliances
- CompuLab: fit-PC2
- PC Engines
- Soekris Engineering
Please update this page with new information, just login and click on the "Edit" or "Discussion" tab. Get a free login here: Register Thanks! - Find us on Google+