Tap here to compare the top VoIP providersTap here to hide the top VoIP Providers
VoIP Hardware Solutions
Zycoo UC Solutions
Yeastar Communications Solutions
Nokia Cell Phones with VoIP/SIP Support
Nokia S60 Phones with a SIP stack and built-in VoIP Client
- Nokia S40 Phones with VoIP Support
- Nokia Maemo Phones with SIP Stack and built-in VoIP Client
- Nokia Phones that support VoIP calling via 3rd Party Software
- Configuration - S60
- Implementation Issues
- External Resources
- Where to Buy
Notes about Nokia's S60 VoIP support
- Nokia phones have varying revisions of their VoIP stack on their phones.
- Nokia maintains a chart of VoIP support across different Nokia devices.
- VoIP Release 1.0 does not support STUN or NAT traversal. This applies to the E60 and E70.
- For best performance, be sure to upgrade the phone's firmware to the latest revision. Updated versions of the VoIP Releases fix many issues.
Nokia S40 Phones with VoIP Support
S40 devices support two types of VoIP, UMA which is always a cellular operator hosted service and SIP VoIP (based on IETF standards) which is independant from the cellular operator.
- UMA devices
- SIP VoIP devices
The latest Vertu handset Signature S Design supports VoIP as well and it looks very similar to the 6300i, could it be the same ?
Notes about Nokia's S40 VoIP support
- S40 UMA phones, only support VoIP through an implementation of UMA.
- With UMA, VoIP calls can only be made through the cellular service provider, if offered. User-selected VoIP service is not possible.
- Additionally, these phones can never be used independently of a cellular service plan and must always have a working SIM card installed to make any calls (GSM or Wi-Fi).
- The 6300i is the first S40 device to support SIP/VoIP.
- Series40 phones can be used independently of a cellular service plan and without a SIM card installed to make VoIP calls (Wi-Fi or 3G).
S40 SIP VoIP Phone Configuration
Phone configuration consists of following two steps:
- Save a Wi-Fi network
- GoTo -> WLAN -> Available WLANs -> choose the WiFi network you wish -> Connect -> enter encryption key if needed -> OK
- Configure VoIP provider settings
- GoTo -> Internet tel. -> Accounts -> Add new -> Select VoIP Provider -> Enter username and password -> OK
HINT: If you want to see a longer list of service providers remove SIM card from the phone (the service provider list is filtered somehow based on which SIM card one has in the phone when configuring the phone)
n0kVoIP is a FREE tool to configure many different predefined VoIP providers as well as custom SIP settings to Nokia 6260 Slide, 6300i, C3-01 Touch and Type, C3-01 Gold Edition and X3-02 Touch and Type.
Support for registering to an arbitrary VoIP/SIP servers is possible from the built in "Internet Telephony Wizard" by choosing "SIP settings" or manually with following steps.
1) Download settings example and modify it to include the VoIP provider settings that are wanted.
- S40 VoIP v72 example if you have 6300i
- S40 VoIP v81 example if you have 6260 slide
- S40 VoIP v92 example if you have C3-01, C3-01 Gold Edition or X3-02
- S40 VoIP v104 example if you have 207, 208, 208 DualSIM, Asha 302, Nokia Asha 303, Asha 309, Asha 310, Asha 311, 515 or 515 DualSIM
3) Make a .prov file with xml2wbxml.exe tool from your xml file
4) Scan and connect your phone via Bluetooth.
5) Send (OBEX PUSH) the .prov file to the connected phone
Nokia Maemo Phones with SIP Stack and built-in VoIP Client
- N8xx devices are Internet Tablets running Maemo Linux.
Nokia Phones that support VoIP calling via 3rd Party Software
- S40 Phones
- S60 Phones - N Series
- S60 Phones - E Series
- Maemo Phones
- These phones support VoIP via third party software such as Gizmo, fring, and others.
- Phones in this list are only those that have the Nokia VoIP Framework built in (not necessarily a SIP client).
- Any application that implements its own full SIP stack (without relying on the Nokia VoIP Framework) will support VoIP regardless of the device's presence on this list.
- Phones in this list may also have built-in VoIP clients. See models in previous sections.
Configuration - S60
- Nokia has an area on their website dedicated to Internet Calling that covers many of the basics of VoIP calling and configuration with Nokia phones.
[nokiaphone] type = peer username = <username> secret = <password> host = dynamic context = <outgoing phone context> qualify = no ;saves battery mailbox = <mailbox extension> ~np~[@ <mailbox context>]~/np~ fromdomain = <FQDN of server> ;necessary to receive MWI vmexten = <exten to reach voicemail> disallow=all allow=ulaw
Basic Phone Configuration
The latest official VoIP configuration manual from Nokia
Phone configuration consists of three steps:
- Define an Access point
- Tools -> Settings -> Connection -> Access points
- Select Options with left softkey and choose New access point
- Fill in appropriate parameters to connect to wireless network
- Create SIP Profile
- Tools -> Settings -> Connection -> SIP settings
- Select Options with left softkey and choose New SIP profile and Use default profile
- Populate as shown in tables below
- Proxy server can remain empty
- Create an Internet Telephone Profile
- Tools -> Settings -> Connection -> Internet tel.
- Select Options with left softkey and choose New profile
- Set any name and select newly created SIP profile
|Profile name||<profile name> (anything)|
|Default access point||<access point defined above>|
|Public user name||sip:<username defined in sip.conf>@<hostname/IP of asterisk server>|
|Registration||Always on (necessary to receive incoming calls, otherwise can be set to when needed)|
|Proxy Server||no need to configure|
|Registrar server||(see below for configuration)|
|Registrar server address||sip:<hostname/IP of asterisk server>|
|Realm||asterisk (or change to match if overwritten in sip.conf)|
|User name||<username defined in sip.conf>|
|Password||<password defined in sip.conf>|
|Transport type||Auto or UDP|
Advanced Phone Settings
Starting with VoIP Release 2.0, Nokia released a tool called SIP VoIP Settings Tool which allows advanced tweaking of many VoIP parameters.
Of particular importance is the ability to set a STUN server and define NAT firewall traversal parameters. This is crucial for the proper use of the phone behind a NAT firewall or when using a non-routable IP.
The STUN server is set on a per asterisk server basis and the NAT traversal parameters are set on a per access point basis.
SIP VoIP Settings Tool and its manual can be downloaded from Nokia
Setting STUN server
- Run SIP VoIP Settings Tool
- Installations -> SIP VoIP Settings Tool
- NAT FW settings -> Domain parameters -> <asterisk server>
- Set STUN server name to hostname of STUN server and set STUN server port to 3478 (unless not running on default STUN port)
Setting NAT firewall traversal parameters
- Run SIP VoIP Settings Tool
- Installations -> SIP VoIP Settings Tool
- NAT FW settings -> IAP parameters -> <target access point>
- TCP Nat bind. refresh and UDP NAT bind. refresh are in seconds. STUN retransmission is in milliseconds.
Traversing Multiple Distinct WLANs
Nokia's current implementation of SIP profiles binds an account to a given WLAN access point.
If the phone is used across multiple WLAN networks, then there should be one SIP profile entry for each unique ESSID that it connects to.
When defining the Internet telephone settings, all SIP profiles should be bound to a single Internet telephone profile.
Traversing the same WLAN across multiple subnets
As is the case with many portable devices, the Nokia phones suffer from connectivity problems when traversing a single WLAN (same ESSID) that is broken up into different subnets because of IP limitations or routing simplicity.
The typical use scenario is in a large university where different regions of the campus have different subnets, but all access points broadcast the same ESSID.
This is arguably a network design issue instead of a client connectivity issue. Nonetheless, the issue is quite prevalent and can be quite debilitating.
The Nokia phones, particularly the ones that are pre-S60r3 FP1 (see device specification matrix), have particular difficulty releasing/renewing their DHCP leases when moved to an access point on a different subnet.
MWI - S60
Nokia supports VoIP message waiting indicator on all VoIP Release versions.
A successful MWI delivery will light up the MWI envelope icon on the active standby and screensaver screens, as well as deliver an SMS-like message to the phone's inbox indicating the number of messages waiting with a callback number defined as follows: <vmexten>@<fromdomain>
Unforunately, the MWI implementation is buggy.
The phone will often reply to a SIP NOTIFY MWI notice with a "400 Bad Request" reply. The cause of this is unknown.
This error results in an unreliable delivery of MWI notices from the server.
However, the MWI notice is often accepted at each SIP re-registration following an expiration. Thus, a simple workaround to ensure a reliable MWI delivery is to set a relatively low defaultexpirey (around 5 minutes) in sip.conf so that the MWI is nearly guaranteed to arrive no later than a few re-registration cycles.
This bug is discussed here on Forum Nokia.
SIP Messaging (via MESSAGE method)
There have been mixed reports of messaging support with Nokia devices.
SIP messaging appears to work via openSER messaging. However, there is no documented success of this method.
sipsak based messaging does not appear to work. On both an E70 and an E51, a message sent via sipsak returns as a "415 Unsupported Media Type" for Content-Type: text/plain.
The apparent only Content-Type accepted on the E70 is application/sdp and the E51 additionally supports application/poc+xml.
- Configure VoIP-capable Nokia Phones to work with Localphone’s VoIP service
- Forum Nokia VoIP Discussion Board - Ask VoIP questions directly to Nokia Staff & Developers
- Nokia Internet Calling - Official Nokia Internet Calling Page
- Nokia SIP Technology Page - Links to many SIP whitepapers from Nokia
- Nokia VoIP Framework Page - Official Nokia VoIP Developer Page
- Setup Asterisk Trixbox with Nokia E60
- Using the Nokia E-series Phones with Asterisk
- Voxilla Mobile VoIP Forum
- Voxilla Nokia VoIP Support Forum
Where to Buy
Please update this page with new information, just login and click on the "Edit" or "Discussion" tab. Get a free login here: Register Thanks! - Find us on Google+