Business PBX Solutions
3CX Software PBX for Windows
Become an ITSP Now!
4PSA's VoipNow Cloud Communications Platform
Please help us explain all these functions - or add other functions!
Also, edit the descriptions and add examples of how to achieve each function in Asterisk, either system wide or per channel type depending on the function.
- Account Code: Account code for dialing calls
- Alternate Number Ring: Assign a different number to same line that rings with a different cadence
- Attendant: Main Operator extension
- Autodialer: Support multiple autodialing techniques
- Automatic Attendant
- PBX Automatic Line Selection
- Automatic Hold
- PBX Automatic Redial
- Automated directory: Automatically connect to an extension by name
- Automatic Call Distribution: ACD
- Barge-In: Allow an extension to break into a call at another extension
- Billed Calls Only: Outgoing calls must be collect or 3rd-party billed
- Boss-secretary functions: The boss'es phone and the secretary's phone are linked togheter
- PBX Busy Ring
- Call Back
- Call Center: Organizations using PBX technology
- Call Forwarding: Redirects all incoming calls towards other extension
- Call Monitoring
- Call Recording
- Call Return: ??
- Call Through: Service for savings on local interconnect charges
- Call Transfer: Hand a call off to another extension
- Call Trace: mark a call in system logs as requiring tracing or special attention
- Call Park: Place a call on hold and allow anyone to dial an extension and take the call
- Call Pickup: Take a parked call off hold
- Call Waiting: Receive a tone indicating another call is waiting for attention
- Calling ID: Identify (or block identification) of caller's phone number or phone number and name
- PBX Calling Plans
- Camp On
- Computer Telephony: technology encompassing many PBX features
- Conference Call: Allow 3 or more parties to connect together
- Consultation Hold: Allow caller to be put on hold while user calls another extension
- PBX Custom Greeting: Change announcement according to special criteria
- PBX Custom Menus: Customized option menus for an automated attendant
- Device Inventory
- PBX Direct Inward System Access: In short: DISA
- Direct Line, HOT line or Private Line Automatic Ringdown: connects directly to another extension (might be the operator) when phone is taken off hook
- Disable Call Waiting: Prevent call waiting for one call
- Do Not Disturb: In short: DND
- Extension Dialing: Dial a number on the system with only 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 digits
- Extension Mobility: Sometimes known as extension roaming
- PBX Failure Alarm: Rings a remote alarm if the PBX fails
- Fax on Demand: Allow the user to be given a fax
- Follow Me: have calls automatically transferred elsewhere
- Forward on Busy/No Answer transfer if line is in use or doesn't answer
- Hunt Groups: transfer a busy number to another extension
- PBX Hold: Allow a call to be kept in the system when hanging up
- PBX Incoming Only: Line cannot dial out
- Incoming Queue: Place incoming calls in a wait list to be answered
- Interactive Voice Response; Automatic call answering and routing
- intercom: solves the problem of yelling to your secretary thru the wall.
- IP Telephony: VoIP calling
- Last Number Redial: dial a code to call the last (regular) number dialed
- Least Cost Routing: routes calls from fixed-to-mobile via cheaper mobile-to-mobile calls.
- Location-Based Routing: Route an incoming call dependent on where the caller is (ANI application)
- Message Waiting Indicator: MWI
- Mobility Extension (Mobex): for connecting mobile phones and other external telephony devices to the PBX.
- PBX Music on Hold: play music or a recording while the caller is on hold
- Night Answer: change where calls go if line is placed in 'night service'
- Non Supervise: Line that can answer without giving supervision allowing a non-charged call.
- PBX Outgoing Only: Line cannot receive calls
- PBX Override Line: Allow a higher-priority user to seize use of a trunk for outgoing call
- PBX Performance Measurements
- Predictive Dialing - Automatically dial numbers connecting live answers to agents
- Public Address - Similar to intercom but uses an external audio system. Example, overhead paging in a warehouse environment.
- Restricted extension: Extension cannot be dialed from outside line or some or all inside extensions
- Screen Pop
- PBX Series Completion
- PBX Seize Call: Allow an extension to take a call from another extension and disconnect the other extension
- Skill Based Routing
- SMS Server: Sending and receiving SMSs on the PC, multiple sending, sending to a closed user group..
- Softphone: Embedded PBX features in web or PC applications
- Speed Dial: ??
- Three Way Calling
- PBX Toll Restriction: Limit calls to certain numbers
- Voice Messaging: voice mail and give greeting / announcements
- Voice Broadcasting: Send recorded phone messages
- Visual Phone Dialer: Visual interface for handling, viewing and monitoring all desk phone call activity from the PC
- Voice Portal:
- Wake-up Call: Automatically send wake up calls
- Web-Based MACs
- SIP PBX functions: How SIP implements these functions
- Asterisk PBX functions: How Asterisk implements these functions
- Database Systems Corp.: Phone System Features
- Back to PBX
Please update this page with new information, just login and click on the "Edit" or "Discussion" tab. Get a free login here: Register Thanks! - Find us on Google+