VoIP

Dedicated FreeSWITCH community forum

freeswitch411

Re: Dedicated FreeSWITCH community forum

Posted:Thu 12 of Mar, 2009 (23:42 UTC)
In Re: Dedicated FreeSWITCH community forum (Thu 12 of Mar, 2009 (21:32 UTC))c6burnswrote:
I think my questions were more than clear. If you want to just say things and not offer an explanation of them later, that is OK. Just pointing out that it is the case :) Furthermore I think my comments are fairly clear as well, and echo the many responses to your mailing list post. By opening up a new forum under a new domain you are doing the opposite of consolidating information. If you are making an effort for the community, which I truly believe you are, then please work at consolidating the sources of information instead of diversifying them. That way your forum will look less like an effort for yourself, which surely is not what you want.

The forum you created is a noble idea, but you have effectively ignored the input of all of the developers. In your mailing list post, you seem very anti-asterisk, anti-mailing list, and anti-IRC without a solid backing as to why. You are heavy on criticisms and light on substance, at least to date. Hopefully that will change.

Re: voip-info.org, this site helped me a great deal when working through various asterisk issues. The wiki, at least to me, is the definitive source of information about asterisk usage aside from the source code. This is a cool resource, and it is currently the official forum for FreeSWITCH, although it is clearly not being used as you discovered.

Fair enough. I appreciate your position and thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

I registered the domain mainly because there was a .99 cent sale on .infos at godaddy. :) I registered 10 of them in total and I'm using a few in my FreeSWITCH environment, setting up multiple domains. I'll probably let most expire next year but for now I get to play. The reaction I got from the community for setting up a "real" forum pretty much lead me to believe If it was going to happen I need to do it myself. Like I said in my mailing list post I don't like people who complain about issues they have without offering up thought-out, viable solutions as well. They want you to affirm their gripe AND solve their problem for them. I took it to the next step instantly. I feel I'm right (that's my opinion of course). I'm ABLE to make it happen all on my own...so lets DO it and SHOW them what I'm talking about. Instead of hashing it back and forth over and over, endless debate and nothing comes of it in the end. You can believe that if you guys want to point freeswitch.org to the forums or something like that (I'm not exactly sure what you suggested), hell I'd be tickled to have that happen!! That's my goal, to contribute in such a way as to be included! Using IP addresses for websites is just plain tacky, even if temporary. You guys got the whole package! That "logo" on the forum is a Photoshop project file that comes with the free theme I used, which took me all of 2 mins. to edit. :)

Oh, I'm not about ignoring the input of the developers, I'll gladly seek their input at any point. Before, it was just about some noob showing up, talking about putting up a "real" forum, how much better it will be for bringing in people, offering Windows noobs a friendly and familiar environment... Now honestly, how many developers you know would waste their valuable time jaw-jacking with some unknown element about something that probably wouldn't happen in the end anyway? So I went ahead and made it real. They can now see what I meant, its beyond the point of blah blah blah. Personally though, I'd rather put the energy that it would take talking to people about the idea and just DO IT! That's how I roll! LOL

I'm flexible, whatever they want to do is fine by me. If they want to do nothing that's fine too.

I am anti-mailing list, that's painfully obvious! I can go into reasons for that but lets see if I really have to. I love telephony period! The only thing I have against Asterisk is that it leaves out Windows users, that and its scalability and hardware requirements. Actually I don't remember even bringing up Asterisk, but whatever, I'm on a roll now. I have nothing at all against IRC, the fact the developers are reachable on IRC is A W E S O M E! What I said about IRC in the beginning was "meh", not knowing at the time the devs were always there and it was always so full. Take notice, I have IRC showcased FRONT and CENTER on the forums, cant miss it! I love voip-info.org as well, I can guess where you'd assume that I don't.

Bringing me to the "real" forum comment. I do not consider this to be a "real" forum! This is a forum plugin, do-hicky, whatever for a wiki. It's simple and limited in what it can do in the long run, growth. It's why there are many real Asterisk forums out there. That's where I want FreeSWITCH to be, running with the big dogs...community-wise. It's already the biggest dog all other-wise and we know that.
c6burns

Posted:Thu 12 of Mar, 2009 (21:32 UTC)
I think my questions were more than clear. If you want to just say things and not offer an explanation of them later, that is OK. Just pointing out that it is the case :) Furthermore I think my comments are fairly clear as well, and echo the many responses to your mailing list post. By opening up a new forum under a new domain you are doing the opposite of consolidating information. If you are making an effort for the community, which I truly believe you are, then please work at consolidating the sources of information instead of diversifying them. That way your forum will look less like an effort for yourself, which surely is not what you want.

The forum you created is a noble idea, but you have effectively ignored the input of all of the developers. In your mailing list post, you seem very anti-asterisk, anti-mailing list, and anti-IRC without a solid backing as to why. You are heavy on criticisms and light on substance, at least to date. Hopefully that will change.

Re: voip-info.org, this site helped me a great deal when working through various asterisk issues. The wiki, at least to me, is the definitive source of information about asterisk usage aside from the source code. This is a cool resource, and it is currently the official forum for FreeSWITCH, although it is clearly not being used as you discovered.
freeswitch411

Posted:Thu 12 of Mar, 2009 (20:05 UTC)
In Re: Dedicated FreeSWITCH community forum (Thu 12 of Mar, 2009 (18:38 UTC))c6burnswrote:
Not sure I understand what u mean. The other forum is needed for growth? This forum is bad because of asterisk?

Also, what is with the freeswitch411.info domain? So the forum is not an 'official' FreeSWITCH forum at this time is what I gather. If you are interested in serving the community then you should work out why http://freeswitch.org points to this forum, close one of them down, and get things organized. Once you have this forum closed down and the new one links off the FreeSWITCH site I will sign up :P

I'm not sure I understand what YOU mean? Are you asking me if it will be pistols or sabers...at dawn?!?
c6burns

Posted:Thu 12 of Mar, 2009 (18:38 UTC)
Not sure I understand what u mean. The other forum is needed for growth? This forum is bad because of asterisk?

Also, what is with the freeswitch411.info domain? So the forum is not an 'official' FreeSWITCH forum at this time is what I gather. If you are interested in serving the community then you should work out why http://freeswitch.org points to this forum, close one of them down, and get things organized. Once you have this forum closed down and the new one links off the FreeSWITCH site I will sign up :P
freeswitch411

Posted:Thu 12 of Mar, 2009 (16:21 UTC)
In Re: Dedicated FreeSWITCH community forum (Thu 12 of Mar, 2009 (15:55 UTC))c6burnswrote:
This forum seems to work ok ... why another?

Does Asterisk rely only on this very simple Voip-Info forum? The answer is growth...well, lets hope.
c6burns

Posted:Thu 12 of Mar, 2009 (15:55 UTC)
This forum seems to work ok ... why another?
freeswitch411

Dedicated FreeSWITCH community forum

Posted:Thu 12 of Mar, 2009 (15:50 UTC)
Please join and help in building the forum community for FreeSWITCH!

http://freeswitch411.info