How to have a Wi-Fi network people can use VoIP to talk on mobile devices to everyone on the network

cheyna

Re: How to have a Wi-Fi network people can use VoIP to talk on mobile devices to everyone on the network

Posted:Fri 12 of May, 2017 (14:33 UTC)
Requirements:
1.Purchase Smart phones.
2.Download any calling app that is free OTT (Over The TOP) app.
3. Use the apps for calling and texting in net.

There are also other apps like firechat that rely on bluetooth communications, whereas a wifi connection isn't required. In Bluetooth or mesh networks the smart phones can communicate through without wifi.
riffraff666

Re: How to have a Wi-Fi network people can use VoIP to talk on mobile devices to everyone on the network

Posted:Mon 20 of Mar, 2017 (13:03 UTC)
Hallo,
personally, I'm using Linphone for the purposes you have described.
It is totally free, doesn't have any annoying ads and is supported on Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, Iphones.
You can register how many SIP accounts you want, so you can receive calls for several DID numbers, and you can choose your preferred and cheapest provider to make outbound calls. You can also create a Linphone SIP account that gives you a SIP URI user@linphone.org.

I have never used it on Centos (I use Ubuntu), but it seems to be supported too. See Linphone getting started: linux
Best regards
Alberto
petike

Re: Why does everyone say I can't?

Posted:Fri 24 of Feb, 2017 (05:38 UTC)
Maybe you can ask one of your friends with a little bit more technical knowledge to install it, or hire somebody for this. Still much cheaper then to pay $10k.

Another possibility would be to use a more user friendly server. In this case i would recommend to have a look at the free mizu softswitch compact edition:
https://www.mizu-voip.com/Software/VoIPServer/FreeSoftswitch.aspx

This runs on Windows and has a next-next-ok install and configuration wizard.
butchmobile

Posted:Thu 23 of Feb, 2017 (23:12 UTC)
Thank you for the reply petike!
I had a look at Asterisk and it's amazing! Unfortunately, I don't think I have the skill set to setup this software. It appears to be quite complex with many options.
petike

Posted:Thu 23 of Feb, 2017 (17:35 UTC)
You can achieve this with any kind of VoIP server as this is just the very basic feature in all of them.
Just setup Asterisk and on the client side use any free softphone. (Chose an open source one if you wish to make some modifications)
butchmobile

How to have a Wi-Fi network people can use VoIP to talk on mobile devices to everyone on the network

Posted:Thu 16 of Feb, 2017 (22:06 UTC)
Hello: I, being a total newbie to Linux have been able to setup my CentOs server and make it work on my home network. This server is going on my ATV and I want an application that friends can download from my server to give us communications in the middle of nowhere. The places I/we go there is no cell service and would like to have this as a wifi server with a "walkie-talkie" app.
I have contacted a couple app authors and they want me to buy their servers for $10k and say mine won't work. My server as I stated is running CentOs and I have installed the appropriate add-ons like Apache and php etc., it works.
Could someone please walk me through the things I need to consider to get this done. I do not have an app for the mobile devices to download. I need something that can work with all the different phones as some ppl are on Android and some are apple devices while some people still have a windows device.
Like I said, I am a total newbie to Linux but I don't think what I want to do is that elaborate or complicated. Everyone has a phone!
To summarize, I want to have a Wi-Fi network people can talk voip on the mobile devices to everyone on the network.

Thank you for your time and any advice you might have.