FYI New Asterisk-based PBX for non-technical users

Jacob Reider

New Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2018
Messages
13
Reaction score
6
I built MeePBX - (get it?) ... because .. despite my ~ 20+ years working with Asterisk - I'm impressed that most of the software that's been built on top of it requires users to speak native PBX - a language that the office manager @ Dunder Mifflin (or any small office) doesn't understand.

(for reference - longer term - I plan to extend this to medical offices - as I am a family doctor and I got my start here a long time ago. See my post from 2005 right here in voip-info from 2005!)

So ...

21 years laster - I made an Asterisk 20 PBX for small offices that have no IT person. I've been frustrated - as I help others implement phone systems - that there is nothing on the market that:

- Charges one fee - not per-extension. No evil lock-in or predatory pricing
- Is easy to set up for someone who is non-technical
- Flexible and allows users to bring their own telepony provider (this is software we're offering - not telecommunications services)

Each customer gets their own hosted server (one VPS per customer - spun up for you automatically so no dealing with the VPS host, Linux, or any complexity)

You bring your own SIP trunk (the UX walks users through this - so it's pretty easy).

The admin screens are meant for an office manager: people, numbers, greeting, hours, voicemail. No "trunk, ring group, extension, choose your codecs, etc."

MeePBX is closed source for now, built on stock Asterisk 20 (GPLv2).

The interface, zero-touch setup and hosting code are closed and (for now) available hosted.

What I know works ..

- Skyetel (IP auth) set up through the guided flow. Inbound and outbound PSTN with audio both ways on a test box.

- Grandstream HT801 zero-touch provisioning.

- Mobile softphone on Android

What might work - not fully tested ..

- Telnyx, other providers ..

- Desk phones (Yealink, Polycom, Grandstream GRP) (zero touch config - not yet - Grandstream phones coming next .. )

- Mobile softphone on iPhone

- Browser phone: it has worked on my own calls - but there may be issues with some browsers.

- 911: I only used 933 for tests - but it's working

- Capacity: no measured call-capacity test at any server 4 calls going out at once for the system, and 2 calls per phone. Incoming call capacity is not measured, so I promise no volume.

- No one who is not me has yet used the setup unaided. Th
- Asterisk is 20.6 from Ubuntu's archive. A move to 22 LTS is planned before general availability, not before the beta.
- Not for health care records or patient information.

If you (or someone you know) is ..

A small single-site office that will use Skyetel, would connect an ordinary phone, has reliable internet, and will tell me honestly where setup confused them.
... I'll give you a weeks free on the platform .. maybe more if you are super helpful.

After 2 weeks .. I'm thinking ...

$15 a month per phone system for Business.

Home is ~ $8/month ..

One subscription per system, not per person. 7 days free for everyone. Folks who report bugs and offer feedback - I'll extend free trial days or weeks .. but remember that everyone using this is on a separate VPS that I'm paying for ... so there are limits to how long I can support free users.

No card needed. Your phone company, equipment ..

Support is one person (me), by email at [email protected]

Tell me what is wrong with this.

Specifically:

- Is "bring your own trunk, one server per customer" the right call?
- Should I add "bring your own server
- What do you think is good (or bad) about what I'm planning?

To join the waitlist: https://meepbx.com ... I'll let ~ 10 or 15 people in this weekend. I'm not posting this elsewhere (only here at VOIP-info) so please don't share (yet) .. as I really want to work things through and squash any leftover bugs ..


Jacob
 
I plan to extend this to medical offices
other than medical offices need phones ... what is the plan here ?


1791662898433.png

cool device.


What is the benefit of your PBX vs IncrediblePBX ?

seems like you charge for something that is free (Incredible PBX).
 
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.
Back
Top