Either sold off or going closed source probably
And so the next existential threat to FreePBX has entered the conversation. I've made the move to FS PBX and am not using FreePBX much any more. So far, there is constant development and improvement with no drama. FusionPBX also continues to move forward. These are good alternatives for commercial and hobbyist installations.
My experience with corporate buyouts by holding companies has not been great. I was a c-band manager at Avaya. I started with AT&T, spun off as Lucent Technologies, and spun again as Avaya. I was a 14 state manager over the implementation and PBX provisioning workforce for the southeast USA. I had the most profitable group in the country with 25 project managers, dozens of software support personnel, and installation and provisioning personnel. Over a period of a year, the entire team was gutted and outsourced to business partners.
Avaya was bought by two holding companies. They bought Nortel's PBX group so they could get the maintenance customers and then shut it down. Then they systematically closed Avaya facilities and sold off intellectual property from Avaya's Bell Labs arm (called Avaya Labs.) Then huge layoffs happened. Without adequate support or sales forces, customers fled for cloud solutions or Cisco CUCM installations. Home Depot was one of the largest customers and they dumped Avaya.
Large corporations who had been loyal AT&T/Lucent Technologies/Avaya customers did not want to spend millions of dollars for big projects and have to deal with a remote project manager in India and installation teams from 3rd party business partners. The "whole team" approach to implementation was tossed out the window and customers who had willingly paid for it moved on.
Avaya is barely hanging on after two bankruptcy filings within six years, but the holding companies got rich in a hurry and left the corpse behind..
So no, I don't expect good things from a holding company buyout of Sangoma.